5 Age Defying Skin Care tips.
Are you over 40? Do you wake up each morning to pluck out a grey hair or worse, use a magnifying mirror to examine your wrinkles? Do you try every anti-ageing skin care brand on the market and wonder, why does this cream NOT do what it says on the jar?
Seriously though, as women, we are always looking for ways to hold back the inevitable signs of age. And, if like me, you are going through the menopause, you will be more than aware of how all the hormonal shifts you experience wreak havoc on your skin. Not only does it reduce collagen production, which leads to the breakdown of the skin’s elasticity, it also causes pigmentation and hyperpigmentation problems. If that’s not bad enough, your skin cell renewal rate slows down dramatically, and all these changes can leave our faces looking a little lack luster and looser than before. Ugh! So how do you combat this? When it comes to the skin, let me introduce you to five neat little tricks to help improve its outward appearance and control and slow down the aging process.
Steam and Exfoliate.
1. For the steam, add a bunch of fresh sage (which contains magical anti-aging properties) into a glass bowl. Steam like you did back in the day with a towel over your head and your face about 11 inches away from the bowl. Steaming releases essential oils from the sage into the skin, opens pores, encourages lymphatic drainage and stimulates blood flow. While your skin is still damp, apply your exfoliator. Use your fingertips to move it around your skin. Doing this removes dead cells, which in turn promotes the renewal of new skin cells and will improve the tone and texture of your skin. I recommend the Gentle Face Exfoliator by Liz Earle.
Tone and Serum
2. Appling toner to your skin helps to stimulate the blood flow which further acts to brighten your skin. Skin tonics such as rosewater and lavender water are easy and cheap to purchase. Next, apply a serum jam-packed with nutrients that will help speed up cell regeneration and improve the overall appearance of your skin. My all-time favourite Clarins Double Serum. It is powered by 20 plant extracts that help reactivate the skins vital functions. It speeds up regeneration and ultimately reduces the signs of ageing and serves to add a brightening boost to your skin. Forget new shoes, I want new skin.
Moisturise Day and Night.
3. Moisturising both day and night is essential. Treating your skin with creams that are rich in antioxidants will help protect your skin. Look for products containing Vitamin A and C, resveratrol (found in black grapes) and green tea as these products are steeped in antioxidants. The Body Shop’s Root’s of Strength Essence Lotion is amazing. Inspired by Chinese Medicine it has three power root extract ingredients that help improve the skin’s elasticity. You can use it daily as a moisturiser. I would also recommend investing in an additional night cream for an added boost of nutrition and I absolutely love The Body Shop’s Oils for Life Sleeping Cream.
Foundation and Illuminate
4. As we mature, it’s important to think about the products you put on your skin. Use a foundation that will protect, moisturise and brighten your skin. Avoid oil-free or mattifying formulae as these may dry out or dull your skin. Clarins SOS primers are absolutely fabulous and give your skin an instant glow. My personal fave’s for mature skin are the pigment corrector and skin blur. Worth The investment. When it come’s to foundations I’m mad about MAC’s Mineralise Foundation or YSL’s La Teint Touche Eclat. They are both brightening and illuminating for your skin. Both formulae are creamy and light, yet buildable and leave your skin looking radiant.
Lips and lipstick
5. Don’t forget to treat your lips. The nose to lip lines (nasolabial folds) like the eyes, is first to reveal the tell-tale signs of ageing. They also seem to be an area we tend to neglect and shouldn’t. To treat this area, I highly recommend applying a lip cream in addition to your daily moisturisers. The one I use, not just on my own face but clients too, is Nuxuriance Ultra Eye and Lip Cream by Nuxe. Apply along the lip to nose lines and around the outside of your lips. When choosing a lipstick, steer clear of bright pinks and cherry reds as they can be ageing. Instead, use softer shades such as warm peaches, soft corals and pinks, and mid-toned nudes. Trust me, they take years off not pile them on.
If you need any other product recommendations, be sure to comment below! All the best.